Friday, March 6, 2009

Starting Again!

So, we have lived here a year this month. I can't believe that. Someone asked me Tuesday if we had been here long and I immediatly said "NO". He said he had --has been here a year now!
I said maybe we have then. This guy continued to tell me that after a year of living here you have experienced everything you will experience at least one time. My face dropped and I said "that is so sad, I don't believe it!"

After living here a year I feel I have SO much more to experience -enjoy and discover. This guy got me thinking all week. What crazy things do I see each day and not think twice about or even notice. In some ways what he said is true, but I won't let him be right. I have committed to myself to experience new things at every chance I get. I am going to look for opportunities to discover what makes life so crazy and unique here.

Some things that I have to check off my list as "new": Things I have experienced for the first time living here the past year:
1. Seeing grade school girls pooping off the curb every day -and not being the least bit embarrassed
2. Eating bugs, fried intestines, duck lungs, sour blood and bone marrow, many fruits, veggies, and mushrooms etc.. that I have never seen or heard of before.
3. Making the best fried goat cheese you have ever tasted
4. Finding people groups that no one knows exactly where they were located before
5. Dancing in a village on my birthday
6. Celebrating our first Chinese New Year
7. Watching and listening to friends and neighbors worship to ancestors and crazy god's -out of fear.
8. Seeing bound feet grandmas around every corner
9. Seeing every small boys penis --their split pants --penis are everywhere -even sitting in the Walmart cart and McDonalds booth.
10. Driving my precious children on the back of my 3 wheel scooter in CRAZY traffic -hearing them screaming from the back "MAMA!" every time a truck almost hits them.
11. Sending my 3 youngest kids to a Chinese kindergarten where after lunch they are required to strip down to their underwear for rest time and pee in a bucket because the "bathroom" troughs were already cleaned.
12. Being on my 3rd bus of the day when I got a call the buses were being bombed and stay away from them --then taking 2 more because it was my only transportation at the time.

This is just a start of my list...my goal is to have new experiences for every month we live here. I love it here! In some ways it is good this is our home now and doesn't seem so foreign, but this place is so exciting! I want to see it the way it should be --not taking one moment or experience for granted. This is the passion of my blogging again: A new year in Asia

1 comment:

  1. Wow. And I am adjusting to life further out in the country...
    We are where we are supposed to be, though. We have the same purpose, just on the other side of the world. You guys are amazing, and I will enjoy reading about your adventures!

    (Teri Roy)

    ReplyDelete